Operating Engineers Joint Apprenticeship Program
OPERATING ENGINEERS JOINT APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAM
Application for the Operating Engineers Joint Apprenticeship Program may be completed Mon-Fri. 8am-3pm at the following location:
Local 513 Operating Engineers Journeymen Apprenticeship Training Program
75 Highway F
Silex, MO 63377
Operating Engineers Apprenticeship Program is a three-year apprenticeship consisting of classroom and on-the-job training for individuals desiring to become skilled tradesman for employment as construction heavy equipment operators and members of International Union of Operating Engineers Local 513. Prior to acceptance into the Operating Engineers Apprenticeship Program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. At the time of application, proof of age (18 or older) must be presented.
2. Applicants must have a high school diploma or GED before starting pre-apprenticeship classes.
3. Applicants must have a valid driver’s license.
4. Applicants must live within Local 513 jurisdiction.
5. Applicants will be required to pass a written entrance assessment.
6. Applicants must be capable of passing the U.S. Department of Transportation Act Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) test, as this license is required for many jobs of the Operating Engineers. The written portion of this license requirement must be passed before starting the pre-apprenticeship class.
7. Applicants must be interested in working outdoors in any type of weather conditions.
8. Applicants must be able to travel to distant work sites if required.
9. Applicants selected must have dependable transportation to get to both urban and rural construction job sites, and have a working telephone where they can be contacted.
10. All applicants selected for apprenticeship will be required to take a drug test. Those who test positive will not be accepted, and must wait one year from the date of the drug test to re-apply.
11. Applicants must present a statement from a doctor indicating the applicant is physically capable of performing the duties of an operating engineer prior to attending pre-apprenticeship.
12. Applicants must attend five days of pre-apprenticeship classes when scheduled as part of the eligibility requirements. Applicants will be scheduled for pre-apprenticeship in the order of application, starting with the lowest numbered application.
13. Applicants must pay the required registration fee of $100.00 (money order or cashier's check only) at the start of pre-apprenticeship.
Pre-apprenticeship classes are conducted at the Program’s facilities in Lincoln County, Missouri. No housing is provided for applicants during the pre-apprenticeship class.
Applicants who satisfactorily complete the pre-apprenticeship classes will be eligible for apprenticeship, in order by application number. When there is a need for a new class, which will be determined by the Apprenticeship Committee, the class will be selected starting with the first eligible applicant.
Apprentice Pay on the Job:
1st Year – 55 percent of the rate for Group I and II hoist operator
2nd Year – 65 percent of the rate for Group I and II hoist operator
3rd Year – 80 percent of the rate for Group I and II hoist operator
Apprentices do not receive pay for the time they are attending scheduled training. Apprentices must be available for work in the trade when not scheduled for training.
All apprentices must complete the required performance test and on-the-job work hours each year, in order to advance to the next level.
Upon satisfactory completion of apprenticeship, apprentices are classified as journeymen under the terms of the contract between the union and employers.
Nature of the Work:
If you are interested in additional information regarding the Operating Engineer trade, look up Operating Engineer in the “Occupational Outlook Handbook”, which is published by the U. S. Department of Labor.
Joint Apprenticeship Committee Pledge (taken from Operating Engineers Apprenticeship Standards):
The Joint Apprenticeship Committee will not discriminate against
For further information or answers to other questions about the Operating Engineers Joint Apprenticeship Program please call 573-485-2200 or email email@example.com.
Page Last Updated: May 16, 2017 (12:55:40)